Here Are a Few Tips to Make it Easier!
No more worries about having to wake up super early, traffic delays due to bad weather and standing in a congested bus or train wondering when you will finally get a seat! For many of us, our daily routines have been drastically altered due to the current crisis at hand. However, it doesn’t have to be all doom and gloom!
It’s true, that working from home has its own challenges. We must figure out how to be productive in a home that can be filled with other family members, including kids and pets that sometimes forget we are not on vacation. For some, the isolation and constant bombardment of the news can make it extremely hard to focus on the task at hand. Even without those challenges, working remotely can mean that the blur of home and work sometimes results in very little work/life balance.
There are several tools and strategies that can be helpful in ensuring you are productive while working remotely. Lucky for us, we have access to our colleagues through video conferencing and chat groups where we can keep in touch through instant messaging.
Here are some tips to help you be successful:
- Set up your workspace so you are away from the hustle and bustle of the home, preferably with a door, good lighting, comfortable chair and little distractions – be mindful of what your video will capture, when it is on
- Stick to your usual routine of getting up early, getting dressed and starting the day off with that coffee that helps you get through the morning
- Create a schedule for your day, including all the breaks, share it with those at home so they are aware of what times you will be available and then stick to it
- If you have an important video call, have a signal on the door so others know not to disturb you
- Keep in touch with your colleagues by setting up a regular meeting (15 mins) to catch up, ask any questions you have or to share updates – make sure to leave your video on
- Limit the amount of time spent on social media and the news as it can sometimes be overwhelming – set a timer for when you need to stop and get back to your work
- Talk to your team about creating a space/time where you can socialize with them
- Make sure you take time during your day for yourself, your family and pets – this downtime will help energize you as well as help you to focus when you are back at your desk, but don’t forget to set your profile status as away during that time so you will not be disturbed
These are trying times and we will need to work together and support each other to get through them. If you are feeling anxious or down, reach out to a colleague or your supervisor. It’s important to have someone you can talk to. If you know of someone who is struggling, reach out and let them know you are there. With video conferencing at our fingertips, distance doesn’t have to be an issue. Seeing a friendly face can sometimes make a big difference or it can be as simple as a quick emoji or gif to brighten their day!
For more tips on working from home as well as free tools to make it easy, reach out to Ignite today!